University Union

University Union to present advanced screening of ‘Blockers’

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

“Blockers” is the directorial debut of Kay Cannon, writer of the “Pitch Perfect” series, who was attracted to the script because of its women perspective.

University Union announced Monday that it will host an advanced screening of the movie “Blockers,” starring Leslie Mann and John Cena. The screening is on Friday at 8 p.m. in HBC Gifford Auditorium, in partnership with NBC Universal.

“Blockers” follows the drama that ensues after three parents discover their daughters’ pact to lose their virginities at prom and launch an operation to stop the teenagers. The film also stars Ike Barinholtz from “Neighbors” and “Suicide Squad.”

The comedy is Kay Cannon’s directorial debut. Cannon, the writer of the “Pitch Perfect” series, was attracted to the script because of its women perspective, according to Variety. The film is produced by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Weaver alongside Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg and Chris Fenton, according to a University Union press release.

Variety described the film as “American Pie” meets “Bridesmaids.”

“Blockers” is executively produced by Nathan Kahane and Joseph Drake with Chris Cowles, Josh Fagen, Dave Stassen and Jonathan McCoy. The film is written by Brian and Jim Kehoe, Hurwitz, Schlossberg and Eben Russell.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Friday. Entrance is free for students, faculty, staff and the general public. Open captions will be provided.